Buddy B. decided he wanted a Harry Potter theme. I thought to myself, this is going to be easy! I should have no problem finding everything I need to make my little wizard's party super cool. So, I headed out to my local Party City store. I searched high and low and finally asked a very grumpy sales person where the Harry Potter supplies were. He laughed and said HP wasn't "in" anymore...WHAT? Harry Potter isn't cool anymore? So I headed to Target, Walmart, KMart, ToysRUs and got the same answers at each place. I was told to check online, maybe they had some stuff for me there. Luckily, I found what I needed online and received it in time for the party. I should say I found almost everything I needed, everything but the wand. There was no way I was going to pay 5 bucks or more for a plastic wand. I mean, there were 15 boys coming and that was a lot of $$. So, Buddy B. and I decided that we would give out glow sticks. Not exactly what I wanted, but I went on the search for them anyway. No Luck! I don't know if everyone else had the same idea to give out glow sticks for various reasons or what, but I couldn't find any and it was to close to the party to have them ordered and delivered. So, in my best Winnie the Pooh impersonation, I sat down to 'think, think, think' and had a brilliant idea!
And here it is...
That's right Dowel Rods! These babies seem to be great for everything!
Now for the tutorial...
Super Easy Homemade Harry Potter Wands
Step 1 - Take serrated knife and "ding" up the dowel rod. *Note - this step is for adults only
Step 2 - Using an electric pencil sharpener, sharpen dinged up dowel rod to a slightly tapered point
Step 3 - Paint rod with various brown colors
Step 4 - Allow the dinged up, slightly sharpened, haphazardly painted dowel rods to dry.
I could have stopped here and just stuck our homemade
Not bad if I do say so myself. They were a big hit and Buddy B. loved them, which is the most important thing.
Buddy B. is still enjoying every moment of being a wizard and eating his Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans.
Thanks for visiting!

I'm linking up to:


Whoo hoo Happy Birthday...fun party. Thanks for joining in...have fun. XO
ReplyDeleteThat's such a cute idea! I bet the kiddos loved it. For some reason, my son's not in to H.P. I don't know why, maybe he's just a little too young at age barely 7. I found you on Debbiedoo's.
ReplyDeleteMelanie
youmadethat.blogspot.com
Way to go! Nothing is more fun than celebrating kiddie parties. Being an ex-hippie, I really like that hippie chick theme.
ReplyDelete